March 15, 2013 by E.
Dear readers, I owe you an apology.
The week went by so quickly that I forgot to write a weekly on my radar post, so I am unable to follow up with a results are in post. In all honesty, my forgetfulness was probably a good thing, because I’ve spent the past few days nursing myself back to health with lots of cold medicine, couch rest, comfort food, and Chopped episodes. If I had set lofty goals for myself this week, there’s a good chance I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish all of them.
Like I said, I spent the past few days being essentially worthless, but as a reconciliation prize, I’ll give you a brief recap of what I have managed to achieve this week.
- I shopped. (Online.) I try to avoid malls unless absolutely necessary
like when I forget I need a present for my best friend’s wedding shower – oops, bad friend. Occasionally, I’ll have a pleasant experience shopping in person, but overall, it’s just not worth the hassle. I much prefer to shop from my couch and have other people deliver things to my door. Here’s where the world wide web solves all my problems, so long as I don’t have to pay additional for shipping (our Amazon Prime account is a godsend). Take a look at what I spent money oninvested in this week.
Other purchases included a muffin pan, extra cookie sheet, and cooling rack. I also purchased a trendy peplum top from Nordstrom. I’m one of the least trendy people I know, generally preferring to stick to classic pieces and outfits. But I have it on good authority that the peplum train is here to stay, so I’m willing to jump on it. Girly and figure flattering are trends I’ll support!
- I exercised. (Minus yesterday, when I was on self-imposed couch rest.) This Saturday marks the completion of my first part of the Insanity workout program I’ve been doing for the last month; I begin the second part of the program, the”max” workouts, on Monday. Although I’m usually skeptical about fitness DVDs, believing that most of them are all hype and “get thin quick” advertising with little substance, I can honestly say that every Insanity workout is the hardest workout of my life. I’ve lost weight (can’t tell you how much because I don’t own a scale) and added muscle because this program works my ass off. I’ve yet to be able to do an entire exercise video without stopping at least once – the people in the video can’t do it either. Insanity is tough, but it’s also engaging and inspiring. I am absolutely terrified as to what the “max” workouts will bring. But with less than a month until our engagement photo shoot, bring on the suicide drills!
- I painted my nails. Though the sun has started to shine with more regularity, temperatures continue to be low and wind gusts continue to be high, reminding me that we may still have several more weeks until spring fully arrives in DC. I’m more than ready for winter to fade away, since my moods can easily swing up or down depending on weather conditions. To keep me from sinking into a prolonged funk, I’ve taken a cue from Kellie on Le Zoe Musings, who uses bright nail polish to help her beat a case of the blahs.
- I indulged in some comfort food. The week started out pretty healthy. We ate angel hair pasta with fresh basil pesto, scallops with asparagus in a lemon-herb dressing, roasted acorn squash stuffed with chicken sausage and plenty of veggies. For lunch, I ate salads and vegetables and our healthy leftovers. Then yesterday, my cold got the better of me. All I wanted was tomato soup (homemade with tomatoes grown in my grandmother’s garden), which is healthy on its own, but loses nutritional value in a hurry when paired with an ooey-gooey-melty grilled cheese sandwich. It was a true Southern comfort food masterpiece: white bread, piled high with 2 kinds of cheese, enhanced with a hefty spread of Duke’s mayonnaise, cooked in a skillet with plenty of butter. Definitely not in my engagement picture diet plan, but maaaan it was good.
- Last but not least, I got a job! I’m quite excited for this new opportunity and
a reason to order new suitswhat another paycheck will mean for our bank account. I have a feeling A. and I are going to need to sit down and officially divvy up household chores, so there may be another installment of Cohabiting in Peace, Love, and Joy coming your way soon, where I discuss how I convince him to help with household chores and he begs me to stop being SO OCD about everythingwe make this transition.
Our plans for this weekend include a celebratory anniversary dinner at The Source, Wolfgang Puck’s Asian Fusion Restaurant. As I’ve mentioned, we don’t go out to dinner often, but when we do, we tend to splurge on special occasion meals. Reviews of The Source have been highly complimentary, so I’ve been looking forward to eating there for quite some time. Expect a recap of our meal early next week!
As for me, I’ve been mostly healed of my cold (convinced it was the grilled cheese that exorcised the evil virus from my body), so I’m off to exercise! Happy Friday, everyone!